Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Rice recipes

With having to add in more white rice to Chloe's diet I came up with my version of easy rice pudding -- that the girls love. Plus, here is my version of congee that the girls also really like.

Easy rice pudding
2 cups cooked white rice (I use jasmine)
Cinnamon and sugar
2 boxes of raisins (1.5 oz size)
2 - 4 cups of vanilla rice milk

Put the rice in a bowl (I use a Rubbermaid container), sprinkle lots of cinnamon and sugar over the rice. Sprinkle the raisins over the the cinnamon and sugar. Pour enough rice milk in to cover the rice. Cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours -- until the rice has absorbed all the milk. Stir and add another 1 - 1.5 cups of milk. Stick back in the refrigerator. You are basically looking for most of the milk to be absorbed but not all -- so it's a tiny bit soupy.

Cassie likes to drink the tiny bit of milk from the bowl when she's done. Both girls love it and it makes a great afternoon snack for them.


Corn & Chicken Congee
About 4 cups chicken broth
2.5 - 3 cups leftover rice (I use jasmine)
2 or 3 chicken legs (raw)
1lb bag of frozen corn

Add the broth and rice to a medium stockpot and stir. Turn the burner on low. Add the chicken legs, cover and cook until the meat is falling off the bone -- about 30 minutes -- stirring once in a while. Remove chicken legs, cut meat into bite sized pieces and add back to the rice. Stir in the frozen corn. Eat.

I make up a batch of this and then the girls have it for lunch for a few days. They really seem to like it. My version is much thicker than the congee we had in China but you could just add more broth to thin it out too. We like it on the thicker side.

As of last night I'm also adding baby rice cereal to their bedtime yogurt snack (Chloe gets soy yogurt and Cassie gets whole milk yogurt). They have both been waking up starving around 5am -- Cassie will actually ask for snacks -- which I have given her to get her back to sleep. I'm hoping this will help keep them sleeping longer. If not, at least it's more rice for Chloe.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I need your recipe for the milk bath again!

Shelley said...

Sherry, LOVE the pictures you posted! It is so wonderful to see your 2 girls sitting side by side in their chairs. I love it! I am glad everyone is feeling better.

Mary said...

I'm glad you posted the chicken rice congee recipe, Sherry! Remember we discussed it in China. I may have to omit the corn. Can't get stinker to eat hardly any veggies!!